2. 목표: 'How-to Instructions' Writing의 절차 배우기
3. 내용: 아이들이 손쉽게 만들 수 있는 크래커 샌드위치 만드는 법(How to Make a Cracker Sandwich)을 영어로 배우고 두 가지 Type의 Writing을 해본다.
4. 전체 Activity의 단계
1) 샌드위치에 대한 일반적인 정보를 영어로 이야기 해본다.(종류, 재료, 색깔, 모양 등)
2) 브레인스토밍한 아이디어를 마인드 맵에 정리한다.
3) 만드는 법을 나타낸 단계별 그림카드를 섞어 놓고 각각의 순서를 나타내는 문장을 얘기해본다. 각 문장에 적합한 순서를 나타내는 접속사를 붙인다. 각 순서 문장에 필요한 동사를 이야기 해본다.
4) 실제로 순서에 맞춰 영어로 이야기하며 샌드위치를 만들어 본다.
5) 만들어 본 순서를 기억하며 Instruction을 써본다.
6) 만든 샌드위치를 먹어본 후, 맛이나 느낌을 얘기해 본다. Cooking Report 쓰는 법을 간단히 배우고 써본다.
How to make a Cracker Sandwich?
Divide the class into groups of four and let the students brainstorm the ideas about making a cracker sandwich. Give each group a graphic organizer to write down the ideas.
Procedure: After each of the following discussions, Give them some time to fill out their graphic organizer.
Make sure that every member in the group participates in it.
1) What you need: Show students some pictures of different types of a sandwich to expose them the topic of today's lesson. As look at the pictures, Talk about different ingredients of each sandwich. Make the students find out what they need to make a cracker sandwich.
2) Transition Words: Introduce students the transition words and let them match each to the correct picture of the steps.
3) Verbs: Let the students think about the steps of making a cracker sanwich by putting the pictures in order. As they figure out each step, they are supposed to find out the verb that they need to make each sentence.
4) What to do: Let the students briefly note down the main steps in order using the verbs and transitional words.
How to Write an Instruction Paragraph?
Teach students how to write instuctions with transition words that they learned at the braintorming stage.
1) Make a real cracker sandwich with students in class learn the procedure effectively and make them understand the connection between transition words and the procedure correctly. Students can name their sandwich and take a photo of it before they eat it.
2) Use sandwich pictures, tansition words cards, and sentence strips to show the organization of the sentences.
a. Attach the pictures of the steps of making a sandwich to the board.
b. Put the sentence strips below the picture in right order.
c. Match the pictures and transition words appropriately.
3) They are going to complete the sentences on their worksheet. (Instructions Paragraph)
a. Give them work sheets.
b. Make them fill in the blanks or complete the instructions.
Reflection: What did you do?
Give the students writing homework. We will review what they did in the class and introduce some words they can use for the homework.
Procedure: Give them assignment to write a cooking report about the sandwich that they made.
1) Basic information: Review the date and also the name of their sandwiches. Ask some students to tell them. Pick one of them and put it write it on the board as an example.
2) Picture of the sandwich: Ask them to draw or attach the picture of their sandwich on the report. If they draw, we will also ask them to color it.
3) Description: Using one of the pictures they draw, you will all review what the fillings are in the sandwich. It will be a controlled writing so we will give them an example.
4) Taste: Introduce how to say the taste. Using the flash cards, teach the taste words such as 'sweet', 'bitter', 'salty', 'spicy' and 'sour'. Even though their sandwiches are not supposed to be sweet, it will be a good opportunity for them to learn the taste words.
5) Comment: Let them write what they think about their sandwiches. Give them some examples of making comments using feeling words.